Shull Early Learning Center
Seeking donations of DUPLO bricks
Shull Early Learning Center is collecting donations of new or used DUPLO LEGOS. The DUPLO bricks are twice the size of ordinary LEGO bricks, making them perfect for small hands. With the $1,500 STEAM grant from the Ray-Pec Public School Foundation, the previous Shull Elementary Library has been transformed into an "Imagination Station" and our LEGO Walls need additional DUPLO bricks.
The previous Shull Elementary library is being converted into an "Imagination Station," where students will be able to design, build, and construct with a LEGO wall; to develop and learn about cause and effect, invent and devise on the Magnetic Gear wall; or inspire the artist within on the Chalk wall. There is also a MakerSpace Area, which is a child-friendly workshop where students nourish their creative spirit as they create, construct and design. Another area in our large space is the Music Center, where students will play with different instruments to create, dance, and explore with music. This unique space will also have a Light Table which will provide sensory play options. A Hopscotch area will provide gross motor opportunities, while a Grocery Store area will provide valuable pretend play. The process of pretending builds skills in many essential developmental areas: social/emotional, cognitive, and language. This large space is full of opportunities for play experiences for all of our students.
Shull Early Learning offers programs by highly qualified staff. Shull will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Parents provide transportation.
- Full-day coverage is 10 hours per day with a breakfast/lunch option available and two snacks provided.
- Morning half-day coverage is 6 hours, from 6 a.m. to noon, which includes the 8 to 11:15 a.m. class. Breakfast/lunch option is available. One snack provided.
- Afternoon half-day coverage is 6 hours, from noon to 6 p.m., which includes the noon to 3:15 p.m. afternoon class time. A lunch option is available. One snack provided.
Early Learning programs
- The Early Childhood classroom provides pre-kindergarten instruction 5 days per week for students the year before they enter kindergarten.
- The Early Childhood blended classroom (limited availability) provides instruction Monday through Thursday. Peer models are in the classroom with special needs students.
- Early Childhood Special Education meets the needs of young children with developmental delays.
Director Mary Shatford
Mary Shatford is the Director of the Shull Early Learning Center, which includes Early Childhood, Early Childhood Special Education, and Parents as Teachers.
Shatford has worked for the District since 1998. She was a kindergarten teacher, an Instructional Coach, a Literacy Coach, and has worked as a Curriculum Specialist supporting curriculum development and mentoring new teachers. Shatford earned her Education Specialist degree in Administration from William Woods University, Fulton. She is pursuing her doctorate degree in Educational Leadership from William Woods.
Shatford was the Ray-Pec Teacher of the Year in 2007. A Ray-Pec High School graduate, Shatford and her husband have two daughters.