Verify Residency

How to verify residency

Every family in the Ray-Pec School District must verify residency each year as part of the registration/enrollment process. To verify residency, send an email to and include the following information in the email message:

  • Name(s) of your student(s), grade level(s) and the school(s) they will attend.

  • Your address.

  • A phone number where you can be reached.

Attach a PDF copy of your electric, gas, or water bill (may be scanned) to the email.

  • The bill must be in the name of a parent or legal guardian in the primary resident household for the student.

  • The bill must show the service address (not just mailing address). Note: If you submit an Evergy bill, the service address is on Page 2.

  • The bill must have been issued within the last 30 days.

  • A final notice or disconnect notice is not an acceptable proof of residency.

Send your residency information to

For questions about residency verification, contact:

Local utility service providers

If you need help obtaining a recent copy of your utility bill, try calling your service provider:

  • City of Raymore – Water: Utility office: 816-331-5182

  • City of Peculiar – Water: 816-779-2222 or

  • Evergy (formerly KCP&L) customer service: 888-471-5275

  • Spire customer service: 800-582-1234 (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.)

  • Osage Valley customer service: 660-679-3131