When the school year begins, remember that traffic on School Road will be heavy. Bottlenecks primarily occur during the morning arrival and afternoon dismissal time periods as more than 2,000 students are transported to and from school. The traffic is a combination of school buses, student vehicles, and parent vehicles.
To help ease the congestion, the school start times for Ray-Pec High School and Ray-Pec South Middle School are slightly staggered. The high school day begins at 7:25 a.m., and the middle school will begin its classes at 7:30 a.m.
Here are some other tips:
- Leave early if possible.
- Avoid the most congested route. Take I-49 or Route J as an alternate route to the campus.
- Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you. This will help you avoid frequent braking and rear end collisions.
- Ready your car for stop-and-go traffic near the schools.
- Watch the traffic ahead closely.
- Avoid aggressive driving.
Passing in the turn lane is not allowed for any vehicle, and the Peculiar Police Department has informed the district that there will be stricter traffic enforcement on School Road.
Please be patient during traffic back-ups. The traffic patterns generally improve a few weeks into the school year.